Jul 29, 2008

French Yé-Yé

I've been inspired lately by the French "Yé-Yé" scene. The scene was a response to the Beatles in the 1960s, where young girls would sing melancholy songs to upbeat rhythm. Aside from the best chanson music, the taste in clothes was impeccable. Frayed hair with brow-grazing bangs, doe eyes lined in black charcoal, and lanky legs were spreading like wildfire. The most notable idols of the Yé-Yé scene were Françoise Hardy, and the couple, Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin.
The most popular song of the era was Françoise Hardy's 'Tous Les Garçons Et Les Filles'.
Great shots of the scene:
Françoise Hardy
Hardy was also a muse for Nicolas Balenciaga.
Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin
The Yé-Yé scene had such beautiful aesthetic qualities, where nothing was over-sexualized or complicated like now. I found this site with great scans of articles, and will be posting a gallery which I am so anxious to rummage through: Yé-Yé Land.

1 comment:

  1. I love this too!! I also have some posts of Serge Gainsbourg on my blog

    ReplyDelete